Sunday, March 14, 2021

Good Day, Saturday

And it wasn’t even the 4th of July. I did have to go into the sun to warm myself to burnish the two bud vases I made from sandstone buff clay.                        


I am hoping I don’t mess up these vases. Liz asked me yesterday how I drew my shapes, and I said I didn't. I merely Googled a search of vase outlines and copied and pasted onto a Microsoft document, playing with the size and dimensions because I can't draw symmetrically, which I then print out to card stock, cut and use as a template. I did glaze two others I made in the opal glaze I spent Friday afternoon sifting crystals and microwaving to melt back into the glaze. I might even adhere the iron oxide decals I have of a narwhal and a mermaid on them because that opal contains such beautiful oceanic colors of surf and sand.                            

After walking the dog, I got ambitious and cooked a Madras style chicken and vegetables (cauliflower, carrots, celery, jalapenos) curry with the purple cauliflower hubs harvested. I browned the chicken thighs in coconut oil while assembling my mise en place.                  
I didn't think the last chicken curry I made was so flavorful even though it contained more curry powder which I think made it a bit too bitter. This time I sautéed the chopped onion a good long time in the coconut and chicken drippings and then added a hefty couple tablespoons of minced garlic and grated ginger. I kept forgetting though to season while I was cooking. I should have salted my chicken before during and after, not much but a little each time to build layers of flavor. I ended up cheating (again!) with soy sauce and Maggi.
I then added my chopped vegetables and then the slurry of flour and water as well as curry powder and vinegar and water and coconut milk. Next time I'm going to add the curry to the aromatics and cook the vegetables down first to drive off as much moisture as possible while still retaining some crunch to the vegetables and then adding a thicker slurry rather than let it get watered down by the vegetables. 
I had also added garam masala to my curry powder. Potatoes and peas would've been delicious too though I'm trying not to do starch upon starch in my dishes, and I even have naan in the freezer in case I run out of basmatic rice. Next time I'm going to maybe try buttermilk instead of coconut milk and add crushed tomatoes and spinach. And make that mint green chile cilantro chutney that I love so much when I hit an Indian buffet.
And now to post this pic of a "make" to my ceramics group on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment