Monday, November 15, 2021

cook: fajitas

I was going to go to a Harvest Festival Arts and Crafts show in my home city, but changed my mind because 1) there was an admission charge--and on principle I have a problem with paying to then pay more; 2)Meral said she went once and it was just meh including the earrings she bought (at least at the Renegade or the Etsy craft fairs, you're buying handmade and mostly one-of-a-kind items); and 3)I really needed to finish my popup shop banner.

And so my indulgence this past weekend was the wasabi poke I got at Costco. I've found if I always have jasmine rice, scallions, cilantro, avocado, jalapenos, miso dressing, sriracha mayo, and soy sauce on hand, I can always construct a poke bowl when I make a run to Nijiya or Suruki supermarkets to satisfy that fresh fish craving. I spent the day stitching down raw applique and still am not done! My goal is to come home after work and finish the stitching before I attempt to paint the canvas with even more text. 

Before I knew it, it was time to make dinner. Before walking Sadie, I remembered to thaw flap steak and to take out the vegetables I would need in my refrigerator bin. Safeway had a special on precut vegetables of 3 for $10, and I felt like resorting to convenience cooking. I bought the washed, trimmed and pre-sliced packages of red, yellow, green bell peppers; broccolini; and brussels sprouts. Patrick thinks I'm notorious for letting foods go bad before I use them, but with groceries being so expensive these days, I'm mindful to now not let that happen. I sliced a white onion and sautéed it with the peppers with just olive oil, salt and pepper.
When I returned from the dog park, the meat was still pretty frozen. Microwave to the rescue while I prepared a marinade: a teaspoon and a half of cumin, two teaspoons of mild smoked paprika, a half teaspoon of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, a teaspoon of Mexican chili powder, citrus juices from a tangerine, half a lemon, half a lime, a teaspoon of soy sauce, a tablespoon of Worcestershire, a couple tablespoons of chopped cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano, and 1/4 cup of olive oil into the freezer bag of the thawed meat. The flap steak marinated for an hour in the fridge and then an hour on my kitchen counter to come to room temperature before I grilled it.
I grilled it 6 minutes, give or take on each side. I also made guacamole, chopped cilantro, sliced lime wedges in addition to taking out salsa and sour cream to go into the fajitas.
And then you place and spoon all those ingredients into a flour tortilla and shake a couple drops of Cholula hot sauce (because I went easy on the chipotle in my marinade) before rolling it up and eating.
Even though we just had chicken and cheese enchiladas the previous night, the flavor profile was different enough to eat Latino again last night. Also the leftover pepper and onions will go on our Italian sausage in brioche buns for dinner tonight. I'll also cook yellow rice and black beans to eat with the leftover flap steak. Waste not, want not, deliciously.

No comments:

Post a Comment