Tuesday, January 25, 2022

cook: triple pork bahn mi

I so love a bahn mi. I had pork belly in my freezer and went to a French market to get the pâté to use with leftover roast pork my neighbor Helen gave me for triple the pig in a Vietnamese sandwich. Below is my mise en place in addition to all the aforementioned pork: bolilo rolls (French baguette is best, but that bread wasn't available at the supermarket), pickled daikon and carrot, Persian cucumbers, cilantro, Kewpie mayo, hoisin sauce, Sriracha sauce.

I heated my cast iron to brown and render fat from my pork belly and sliced all the vegetables. I forgot at first the pork pâté for my assemblage. But it's the first thing I spread on to a bread half. On the other half of the roll, I slathered mayo and then topped with cucumber and the pickled carrots and daikon.
Next the leftover pork roast, which I warmed in the melted fat of the belly, atop the pâté. Drizzles of hoisin and mayo. And then the pièce de résistance: the browned pork belly. And at the last moment I remembered to include slices of jalapeno along with the cilantro because I like a bit of heat.
Behold one of my most favorite sandwiches.
I really do need to expand my repertoire of sandwiches. I think a Cubano next. And a stop to repeating things I've cooked already.

No comments:

Post a Comment