Saturday, January 27, 2024

clay: pin friends

I posted a photo of some of my clay pins in progress on Facebook and then solicited ideas on what other pins to make. Am trying to run with their ideas. Anna typed, Om. Silvia suggested sun and moon and corgi  


And while looking for simple images online to re-create, this branding for an oyster restaurant caught my eye. 
I love this graphic design. The single image of an oyster shell that's just a line drawing with some cross hatches and shadings. The stark contrast between black and white and more importantly, black background. The fonts, especially the serif of a swirl of a Helvetica letter in the word, Pearl. The truncation of the word trademark and placement of the year the restaurant was founded. I would love to take Kat's class on typography because I don't really know what typography is and know how to render my fondness for letters and simple drawings.

I'm also noting the details on my new necklace. I do love it and want to render it in ceramic. I can't find my clay journal with all the measurements I wanted to tinker with for a candelabra, and so maybe today at the community studio, I'll just mist my coils with more water and save it to build next week. Or make a small coil pot. I need to deviate from straight cylinders and make some organic and curvilinear outlines in my pots. Or make a few of these pendants.
I also really like the mystic sun pendant.
However, much I intend to make the pendants in my sketchbook, I get distracted by all the tools in the high school ceramics classroom. Yesterday in order to decompress, I used stamps and silicon molds to make a bunch more pins.
 


This pin I made from a plaster mold, and I can't wait to glaze the pots on this pin in three different glazes.
I made a couple pins semi-identical with the llama and the dachsund stamps, and of course, I had to play with letter stamps.
I wasn't really fond of the heart pin I made until I slip and scored a dog outline to it.

And now it's just about lunch time, which means I've got a couple hours to get into the headset for hand building. Oh what will I make today?

No comments:

Post a Comment