Wednesday, January 24, 2024

cook: widowmaker white chicken chili

I watched this recipe being made with Billie Eilish’s Bad Guy playing in the background. I've been wanting to change up my chili game. I’ve always cooked my chili with chorizo or ground beef and pinto and kidney beans in a tomato base for years now. Let’s do chili differently. Somewhere I've got dried white cannellini beans and more than likely a brick of cream cheese too in the fridge though I'm a bit dubious of that ingredient. And I just bought avocados.                           

 
And so here’s my first iteration. The ingredient of cream cheese, again, had me doubtful and definitely makes it a very Northern European dish rather than a Latin American one. All the dairy called for in the recipe makes for perhaps a too luxurious bean stew. However, I changed up the recipe by using kidney and pinto beans added to my leftover cranberry beans and had no green chilies though I did at least have green enchilada sauce.
However, I kept tasting as I was cooking because the chili was so awesomely delicious, and I packed it away for the next night for dinner when Patrick and I both had either a meeting or preparing for work the next day.
 
The next night, I set out condiments of chopped white onion, cilantro, avocado, cheese and sour cream (the dairy was to offset some of the spiciness for my husband). The semi-white chili was delicious for me even without the additional dairy. And so I will cook this again according to the recipe directions and maybe use only half the cream cheese (4 ounces is plenty) and again omit the sour cream. Also no seeds in the fresh green jalapeno to make it less spicy for hubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment