Wednesday, January 3, 2024

cook: winter break eating

I cooked comfort food like adobo and (brown) rice... 
...and breakfasts like eggs gratin for those leisurely mornings on my winter break.
However, I still had unopened cans of crab and oysters in the fridge left from thanksgiving feasting. The crab turned into my favorite sandwich that I used to order from the Sardine Can. Luckily, I had scallions and a lemon in the fridge--those ingredients with Best Foods and Kewpie mayonnaise and the crab make for the most delicious salad. And I remembered I had avocado too.
 
But I don't like avocado and crab salad too warm in a crab melt. And so I grilled the buttered sourdough and cheese first before layering sliced avocado and crab salad into the sandwich. 
 
And what's left of the crab turned into our New Year's Eve dinner of crab pasta. I cooked a mashup of Northern European and Vietnamese butter garlic noodles by combining vermouth and cream with oyster, seasoning, fish sauces with garlic, butter and Parmesan cheese.
 
But of course with lots of scallions and roasted broccoli.
And this time instead of my favorite Chardonnay, a glass of Petanque.
And now I'm craving fruits and vegetables after all the holiday feasting, but I had two tortillas to use up in my pantry. After swimming yesterday, I bought fried potatoes and chorizo and stuffed them into breakfast burritos Meral and I ate before going to the ceramics store.
 
I satiated my vegetarian cravings with a Veggie Delite from Subway and stuffed the rest of the avocado from my crab melt into it.
I ate more of my adobo before my road trip to Los Angeles tomorrow. Oh right! I'm going to view Luna Luna in the Arts District and maybe stop at the Griffith Observatory too. I went to the public library to check out audiobooks for that 12 hour drive to and from: chick lit, literary fiction and nonfiction from my favorite Op-ed columnist, David Brooks. I'm bringing just my gym bag with a night shirt and toiletries, my art bag, my computer case and pencil case and a couple bottles of water.
 
I wish I could travel lighter, but I relish my creature comforts in my hotel room.

No comments:

Post a Comment