Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Quarantining: Carb Cravings Continued & Cinco de Drinko

Welp I'm still waiting for Aunt Flo, and yesterday it was potato salad that satisfied my craving for carbohydrates. I ate a lunch of leftover fried chicken and a boiled potato that I tossed in mayonnaise, pickle juice, chopped onion and celery. Normally, both me and the hubs consume one potato or rather half. But yeah I ate a whole potato. Afterward I was too stuffed to do a 5-mile walk and decided instead to drive to the Japanese supermarket to shop for a birthday present for a neighbor. Oh wow. All my favorites were in the sushi aisle. I was torn between salmon poke and hamachi. And so then I went to the sushi aisle next to the fish counter for more selections including the raw oysters.
The fish counter was likewise stocked with seafood. And there were oysters--the perfect birthday present for my neighbor, Nancy.
Once I got home and put away all my Japanese treats, it was time to start my Cinco de Mayo meal. I had soaked pinto beans in the morning and started them boiling.
 After the beans were boiled, I drained them and chopped scallions, serrano peppers, and tomatoes. I melted lard and refried the beans.



While my beans were simmering and driving off the water, I started taquito building. Umm, I didn't think it would be that hard, but I've always had a problem with overstuffing whether they be lumpia or potstickers or ravioli. First, I put a slice of Monterey Jack on the street size corn tortilla and then nuke it for 15 seconds or less.
 And then I put some chicken and a bit of tomatillo and jalapeno sauce. Oops, the green sauce was a mistake, but tell you about that later. And then you're supposed to roll the flautas very tightly so that they resemble cigarillos and secure the roll with toothpicks, but mine were way too fat.
After I rolled the flautas and while the frying oil was heating, I started to make the green taquito sauce with the jar of salsa verde I already had by chopping white onion and cilantro to add and then mash in an avocado with fresh lime juice. I wish I had just made guacamole, but tell you later about that too.
In the meantime, the refried beans continued to simmer.
Green dip and salsa ready.
Okay the taquitos or flautas were just okay. The green sauce I layered into the chicken and cheese floated out into the hot oil. And so my dorados looked a hot mess. The green dip was too bitter for my liking even with the addition of sour cream, and I wished it tasted more like avocados. And the refried beans were way too spicy for the hubs. He concurred when I had said I should have just cooked green chicken enchiladas for our Cinco de Mayo meal, but thank goodness for wine and Mexican beer to dull my palate.
I haven't sewn a lot in this shelter in place, and the quilt top I see below has me inspired to get some linen and make some half square triangles with the Kona solids I have. I did, however, receive a mask making kits, and so those 10 masks are my weekend craft plans.


No comments:

Post a Comment