Saturday, May 30, 2020

Quarantine Cooking: Comfort Food for a Child

I don't really crave dessert for comfort, but for sure, I like salty which is not good for my hypertension. And come on, during times of stress and anxiety, it's not unusual to temporarily sate those emotions with potato chips or macaroni and cheese or hot dogs!
And really it was the hubs who opted for hot dogs as I had given the other choice of hamburgers for dinner. We also just harvested potatoes from our vegetable garden and added potato salad to that repertoire of comfort foods and baked beans for the sweetness. I also made a pitcher of black tea to have more drinking options to alcoholic drinks. I love bubble teas, but not necessarily the tapioca balls--the flavors and the sweetness. I also like to experiment and try different flavors like lavender and rose and lychee. And so with this batch of black tea, I added rose petals a friend brought me from Iran and flavored my glass of rose tea with passion fruit syrup. Oh my goodness. Life changing. Better than coca cola.
Later in the evening I wanted an alcoholic drink and made myself a Sidecar Spritzer.
And suddenly after a busy busy work week, it was Saturday morning and I wanted breakfast. Or maybe I just wanted to finally finish off the package of English muffins. I went out into the herb box and snipped up garlic chives and chives. Took out an egg.
Contemplated whether to cook a French omelette or just scrambled eggs. Poured a little cream into the egg and decided I was not gonna grate a little Swiss cheese for an omelette and would instead scramble.
And beat the egg. And remembered the bottle of $25 rose champagne a neighbor gave me and decided to drink a mimosa.
My breakfast cocktail was delicious, but oh my am I still buzzed.
Breakfast was buttery and delicious even if I did overcook my scrambled eggs a tad.



No comments:

Post a Comment