Sunday, May 24, 2020

Quarantining: Marketing and Making Do with Leftovers

I don't like to get groceries from a big box store if I can help it as I prefer to go to my favorite mom and pop produce shop or avail myself of the convenience of the grocery store close to my home. However, I received a Target gift card from my high school's parent organization, and so I stocked up on booze as well as nonperishable pantry ingredients like cake mix and pre-made frosting. And whenever I drive to Target in a neighboring city, I usually trek to Ranch 99 too. I brought home a bounty of Asian vegetables: long beans, sugar snap peas, Indian eggplants and other Asian staples like sweet chili sauce, rice noodles, Fiilpino sausage called longaniza, Thai tea, Taiwanese rose milk tea and pork. I miss this kind of shopping. On my next trek, I'll be buying seafood
I also picked up a package of oxtails to cook a Filipino peanut stew called kare kare.
But I was most excited to find pea shoots at the Asian grocery store.
These long beans are going to go into my kare kare as well as my Pancit Bihon.
But last night I needed for us to finish off the macaroni and cheese and bought pork spare ribs to be the protein main. I boiled them, slathered barbecue sauce on them, and laid them in a sheet pan with the leftover macaroni and cheese. Put it into a 225 degree oven for 40 minutes.
I also bought a head of broccoli a few days ago because I can't seem to get enough of its salad, and luckily I had 3 slices of bacon left in my fridge.
I like my bacon crispy, but there wasn't much, just enough to garnish the top. And so I didn't fold it into the broccoli salad which I put into the fridge to chill for an hour.
Success. No more macaroni and cheese and spare ribs. But a little bit of broccoli salad for a light snack.
Dessert was Irish coffee to finish off the Irish whiskey and whipped cream. 
I'm looking forward to a Memorial Day weekend of cooking memories of my Filipino American childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment