Monday, June 1, 2020

Quarantine Cooking: Burger Night

Hamburgers are a once a week meal in my rotation. Usually I grill them outside on the charcoal barbie, but this week it was kind of chilly outside and I was too caught up in cooking a better french fry. It started with just one large Yukon gold potato from our vegetable garden which I cut into fries and then rinsed off the starch.
I think I looked at a recipe on the Food Network website. The recipe called for soaking the raw fries in cold water for two hours. I threw in a couple of ice cubes to hasten the process, but then noticed that some of my potatoes were not narrow enough or steak fries size rather than shoestrings. And so I was pulling out sticks from the cold water and slicing them skinnier for an hour and a half, and then it was dinner time.
There went my plan to put the potatoes in the freezer because it was already 6 and time to cook for dinner. I heated a couple inches of canola oil on medium heat and fried the chilled potatoes for about 5 minutes in 2 batches, noticing that this frying was all about driving off the moisture or watching them steam before removing them to drain on a paper towel.
The recipe then called for heating the oil to a higher temperature(I cranked the stove to medium high heat)before frying them again.
In the meantime, it was also time to heat my other cast iron grill pan and prep the burgers: toasting the brioche buns, slathering may on them and slicing onions, tomato and tearing off butter lettuce.
In the meantime, I was also second frying the potatoes. I raised the temp of the oil to medium high and fried the potatoes a second time in batches and then pulled them out of the oil onto parchment paper for the hubs to salt. 
Burger night done, and hubs declared them the best fries ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment