Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Ceramics: Onward and Onward

We're all sick of sheltering in place in this pandemic, even we introverts because really we want the choice of withdrawing from people as much as we despise the hypocrisy and insufferable inanity of some human company. Since I'm now in the habit of wearing a mask and doing the six foot physical distancing as much as I can remember to and after weighing the risks of removing my mask, I'm no longer gonna refer to the pandemic in my posts if I can help it. Nesting by ourselves in our homes has also has made us selective of who to include in our social bubbles. Back to chronicling my handmade hobbies in this new routine of isolation and the friends and loved ones who matter most

Yesterday morning I was able to load up the kiln with more greenware from my few weekends of handbuilding with Meral.

Bottoms up! I'll have to look for YouTube videos on how to load a kiln, and Meral messaged me that bisque pieces could be touching each other and that she and Patsy sometimes even stack greenware inside each other in the kiln. I just wanna not break the kiln by putting things too close to that thermal coupling thingee.
I poked around the ceramics classroom after loading the kiln. 
Golly do I miss a slab roller. I know that my butter dish cracked in the drying because I did not roll a uniformly flat slab.
That's basically 75 pounds of clay that I took from my locker at the community ceramics studio and brought into my friend's high school ceramics classroom: Frost Porcelain, Electric Brown, and Sandstone Buff. 
And I long to make more pots, so I can decorate more surfaces like the commercial decal-adhered mugs above.
I adore this nautical bas relief, and now I wanna make one too.
Hamsa ! I know I’ve a henna tattoo hand stencil somewhere in my arsenal of clay tools.
And above is where the clay and chemical bags of powder for Cone 6 glazes are stored. Even hazardous chemicals thrill me these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment