Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Cooking: My InAUTHENTIC Alabama White Sauce cHICKEN

Somewhere in my big black binder of recipes, I've one for Alabama white sauce from the New York Times. It's a BBQ mayonnaise-based dressing that you drench hickory barbecued smoked chicken in. I cheated. While buying two 32-ounce jars of Duke's mayonnaise, I also threw into my online shopping cart two bottles of their Alabama white sauce. Yesterday was way too hot for baking or standing over a hot stove. And so I poached chicken and boiled potatoes. And chopped. And chopped. And chopped. Red onion. Green onion. Garlic with salt. Dill. Parsley. Celery. Tomato. Lettuce. And mixed in separate bowls. Buttermilk and Duke's mayonnaise for the win in potato salad and green salad with herb garden dressing.

And I really wanted to barbecue chicken on my charcoal grill because I've hickory briquets, but it's spare the air week here in Northern California. Again too hot to bake the protein. And so I put water into my cast iron skillet with the chicken, covered and simmered on low. And then drained the poaching liquid into my jar of bone broth, squirted the Duke's Alabama white sauce on to the chicken and put it under a low broil. The zesty white sauce really tastes like regular barbecue sauce (because it contains apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, brown mustard, lemon juice, horseradish, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper like you would taste in a tomato- or ketchup-based barbecue sauce), so my eyes and tongue felt a bit deceived.

Hubs put worcestershire sauce on his chicken. Sigh. I thought it tasty well enough alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment