Monday, September 14, 2020

Quarantine Cooking: Sushi Saturday & Sichuan Sunday (And Amping up the Vegetables in Meals)

My husband hasn't been able to run, and his doctor thinks it's gout of which he begs to differ, but I've been on a mission anyway to make our meals less meat-centric. I had grand plans of cooking ahead for the week and tackling sewing projects. Nope. Again. And. That. Is. Okay. Saturday was a Sushi lunch and leftovers for dinner.

I did manage a little prep for meals in the coming week by chopping onion, mincing garlic and chopping tomatoes--which are still glorious. Those are going into my refried beans, and maybe I'll stuff the Anaheims in my pantry for chile rellenos. 
I did a lot of quilting of a pillow sandwich on Saturday of which I didn't post a pic. But Sunday was a major cooking project of Sichuan Eggplant and Mapo Tofu. It all started with the Sichuan peppercorns and every jar and bottle of Asian condiments in my refrigerator and cupboard.
I followed a recipe online for the eggplant which I noticed called for all the same ingredients as my pork and tofu dish.
I thought I was accommodating an anti-gout eater, and so I decided to keep the proteins separate from vegetables and make the same sauce for both.

I set up a DIY Sichuan buffet after all that cooking.
Aargh, it didn't matter. It could have all been cooked in the wok because the hubs said he was going to eat the proteins too though I did use just 8 ounces of the pork rather than the usual 16 ounces.
Then said goodbye to my Asian ingredients until next month when it's their turn in the meal rotation. Oh and I embroidered a lot too and will post that sewing project along with the pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment