Saturday, December 26, 2020

Cooking: Red Beans and Rice

In Cajun country, Monday is usually laundry day and therefore a day to boil a ham hock with red beans that soaked the night before for an easy dinner after washing was done. I read that lore somewhere, but I love the dish because it's delicious and comforting too and still an ease for me because I hate doing laundry and save that chore until I've run out of underwear. For this particular craving, I had smoked turkey wings instead of a pork knuckle though I did remember to soak the small kidney beans the night before. And had andouille sausage on hand.

Alas I forgot to add a bit of sage and thyme to my stew of the smoked turkey wing and red beans and holy trinity (onion, celery, and green bell pepper) and some chopped Roma tomato and a bay leaf or two. That's okay, I did use Creole seasoning which might have contained some of those herbs.
I also thought it needed a bit of green and so sprinkled chopped scallions on to my meal with some liberal dashes of hot sauce. T'was a fine dinner.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment