Saturday, December 26, 2020

Cooking: Self-indulgent and Not Sad Lunches

Yesterday, hubs cleaned out the refrigerator and commented that he hated waste as I tossed out hot dogs and baked beans that spoiled. And further commented that I had too many opened condiments in the fridge. But really I'm trying not to waste food by cooking smaller dinners and eating leftovers for lunch. 

I had labneh and cucumbers in the fridge and a strip of gyro in the freezer and leftover Kalamata olives, and it had been a while since I had made hummus for a mezze meal--loved it. I've dolmas too in my pantry, and so I'll eat them with the now leftover labneh dip and Greek salad I made. I'm already out of the hummus, and so I'll be making more. I forgot how much I enjoy Lebanese food.

I cooked the most delicious grilled salmon for dinner the other night and had a leftover hardboiled egg in the fridge. And so a seafood lunch the next day. I crafted my own Louis dressing which I'm renaming Neptune: mayo, ketchup, relish, capers, dill, horseradish, lemon juice.

I had a tub of grated gruyere in the fridge as well as avocado leftover from Mexican the other night and a tub of unopened crab meat. I love a pescaterian meal, more so than the hubs, and would eat seafood more often if I could. And so enter my favorite crab melt or a sandwich I used to enjoy at my favorite seafood shack in my hometown called the Sardine Can. I mixed the crab meat with a little bit of my Neptune dressing, melted the cheese first on the sourdough bread in the microwave before sandwiching the avocado and crab salad and slathering the outside with butter before browning and toasting in my cast iron.

I forgot the Dijon mustard until almost the end and slathered it atop the melted cheese. Oh my. My sandwich was messier than what I used to eat at the Sardine Can, but I think a lot more luxurious and yummier.

No comments:

Post a Comment