Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Ceramics and Cooking: a Butterdish and Chicken Curry

I think I might have mentioned that I was pretty dissatisfied with the last couple butter dishes I made. And so I remade it a couple weekends ago, but it was so wonky that I took it apart this past Saturday. And had to trim down the parts in order to make them straight.


Friends have told me they find the wonk charming, and so hopefully there's enough wonk in this latest iteration to add cuteness but straight enough to be functional.


And my new dish, not cooked for years, for Saturday night supper plus my goal of shopping my pantry was chicken curry. I followed the directions on the package of Sadaf curry powder I bought at the Middle Eastern produce market--the spice is more brown than the yellow I'm used to and had a hint of bitterness. The directions also called for more than the 3 small chicken thighs I had, and so I added cauliflower and carrots and green peas left in my freezer and veggie bin. I should've added celery to my curry, but I did use up the last of the basmatic rice in my grains drawer. Mission accomplished on not wasting.
I also topped the curry with more green: scallion and cilantro. I've a little bit of Sadaf curry powder and maybe a bottle of Madras curry in my spice drawer, and so I see another Indian curry dish in my rotation. I also have in my spice drawer biriyani and chicken tandoori. Maybe next month I'll cook Indian cuisine again, but in the meantime, we've at least 2 more servings of chicken curry leftover.

No comments:

Post a Comment