Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Easter Sunday : Cooking and Sewing

Like a lot of other families for Easter, I cooked pork. But instead of a ham (the leftovers of which I've still from Christmas in my freezer), I thawed a couple of bone-in pork shoulder shanks. Hubs, however, was still recovering from minor surgery and wasn't even able to visit his parents and siblings on the Sunday holiday. I also took out the frozen half turkey from Thanksgiving to perhaps cook for Easter, but nope. Instead I browned the pork shoulder and charred white onion, jalapeno peppers, and tomato slices, which I then pureed and added along with broths to the pork.


While the pork simmered, I sewed and enjoyed these pics of the grandnieces in the tent I sent them.

If I could I would make orange and pink pom poms to adorn the tent. Instead I stitched, and the heavy blanket upcycled from a silk kimono that I've dubbed the Bob & Lisa Quilt is done.
I almost gave up on this quilt. It must have languished at least a year and a half in my closet.
But much later, I came to appreciate the look of the hand stitching.
I'm so glad it's done because I'm so eager to finish the mermaid quilt and then sew an Amy Butler designed purse called the Birdie with Kaffe Fassett fabrics that I feel like I've had for a decade now. And it was also a weekend to eat a Filipino breakfast of rice, tocino sausages, chopped tomatoes and hot vinegar with a fried egg every morning for 3 days.
This breakfast made me recall the morning meals I ate in Palawan on a winter break years ago with my brother and his wife and sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment