Tuesday, April 6, 2021

The Inertia and Excitement Before Spring Break

Hubs got so irrationally irritated when I bought another Chilean sea bass (there are now two in my freezer) and another pack of organic ground beef that I've been trying as always to shop my freezer and pantry. I boiled up the last of a bag of russet potatoes to make Ina Garten's smashed potatoes with chives and parmesan. 

The potatoes were lovely with the second package of no-labor sous vide steak and sautéed broccoli and purple cauliflower, the leftover vegetables which we ate again when I cooked halibut (I thought it was sea bass, and hubs said it was too firm a fish that needed to be in a smoky fish chowder instead of pan fried and sauced with lemon butter capers)that I served with garlic butter angel hair pasta. That's leftover too, which I'll probably serve with shrimp scampi.
We've started getting kids coming back to high school even in this week before spring break, and I'm noticing more restaurants and businesses opening up. And so yes, there's a mental weariness to this pandemic, but also a teeny bit of return of vigor in preparation for the traditional letting loose of spring break. I made my way to a chocolate shop called Preston's on an old main street called Broadway in Burlingame to create an Easter basket which coincidentally was next to my favorite charity shop. I saw what looked to be a charming and clean vintage cookbook from the Ole South, and typical of cuisine of Confederate states, an amusing but disgusting recipe called "Oriental Chicken" (canned tuna and chicken? yuck). Yeah no.
However, I almost bought this china plate.
I'd this idea of adhering text on it similar to that on these fine china tea cups on Etsy.
Only my thought is to decal the plate with "Go Away. I ain't no hollaback girl." I still might go back and get that plate and maybe a cup and saucer on which to decal, "You're my favorite bitch to bitch about bitches with." We had a spell of sunshine and warmer than warm temps before the break too that I had sunned myself with Sadie next to my favorite blooms. I love these Columbines I found at the Grocery Outlet.
And I especially love this girl.
Prior to the spring break, I also finally made it to a new bakery I had been meaning to visit, Backhaus. I finally got there before it closed at 4:00 and was able to snag two morning buns and a Kouign Amman.
I do like a Breton butter cake, but I find myself liking even more Backhaus's less sticky morning buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment