Thursday, March 16, 2023

2d composition: cancellation & creativity

Yesterday my pool appointment was canceled, and today I can’t go to work because of a school cancellation or a power outage, which would be okay but those power outages also resulted in no internet. Last Friday on our half day workday, I had treated myself to lunch at La Petite Camille.

And I was tempted to return to eat noodles again or a Bahn mi, but I was not wasteful and consumed a burrito made up of leftover carnitas and refried beans and cheese. I spent much of my day with the little girl and cracking up over her antics such as her wanderlust that this photo of our walk in Central Park captures.                  
I didn’t want to lose her because she does love to veer away, and so Sadie was on a long leash and probably didn’t even see this dog statue that Elmo used to bark at every time. Without Internet, I spent much of yesterday’s day off on my Art 300 assignment on an illustrated letter, looking at fonts and backgrounds and sketching.              
I'm drawn to the A is for Algae sketch because I adore modern calligraphy. I was attempting to embellish the letter with a background of algae like the one below from a stock of illustrations.
But I'm also wanting to make something that is reminiscent of Midcentury Modern. I may end up using the letter A below that has a bit of flair with a slight swirl.
Below is a Shutterstock background I zoomed in on because of that contrast between dark blue and white with that pop of yellow green seaweed. 
I might make a border like I saw in a how-to video of how to make your own illuminated letter. And I suppose I was drawn to the font below because of the little tilde above the A which I thought was suggestive of the sinuous sway of seaweed.

So many design decisions to make for this assignment.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment