Saturday, March 4, 2023

art + asian grocery shopping: balance + shopping at hmart

I'm a bit out of sorts even though I've managed to work out a lot of days this week, and my daily swims are because I won't be able to build clay or swim this weekend. I volunteered (therefore, no one to blame but myself) to cook and host a hotpot party. Work was a tiny bit stressful but fun because I'm teaching freshmen and juniors research, respectively background knowledge of Elizabethan England for 9th graders about to read Romeo and Juliet and the mechanics of arguing controversial issues in a project called the Lincoln Douglass Debates for 11th graders. Therefore, I haven't done my Tuesday and Thursday Clay Club, which was okay as I was able to go to the pool or work on my Art 300 assignment. And so no cooking during the work week--basically just leftovers like this Korean tofu soup zhushed with Savoy cabbage, lamb wontons, scallions, a hard boiled egg and chili sauce. And lots of sketching thumbnails of a collage for my 2-Dimensional Design class.       


I also said yes to yet another social event, a St. Patrick's Day party with a potato and Irish coffee bar. I impulsively and stupidly said yes to making an Irish stew rather than just bringing a container of sour cream, scallions, and bar of Kerrygold butter. But I'll just make a run to the Grocery Outlet and use ground lamb. And I'm going to Mountain View with my neighbor, Helen tomorrow and will pick up a 5-lb bag of potatoes to make a Colcannon too. Mustn't forget the leeks too. OR I'll just make a ginormous Shepherd's Pie. Might as well fucking throw in the towel and get my Irish on. I did buy a Sláinte t-shirt and am still very tempted to get a green wig. Made these posters too for the Paddy's Day celebration.  

  
I'll bring these posters to the club house this morning. Last night we three Asian friends, Cecilia and Chia and I went to HMart. For the 3 of us, mind blown. Right away, I wanted to buy poke or a sushi set. And I love how clean and sanitized the store is. I wonder what is to happen to this tuna fishhead.
And I already have gochuchang from Safeway in my fridge, but my next bottle is coming from HMart.
And when we had gone to the seafood hotpot buffet restaurant a month ago, I fell in love taste wise with chrysanthemum greens and the VARIETY of mushrooms. And so we loaded up on these ingredients for our hotpot party.
And here are all the proteins, vegetables, and starches, we'll be prepping and cooking for lunch today.
Patrick said of course you all bought too much. Yep, $259 worth which will work out to $37 per person. I finally got to show Chia some of my ceramics art.
I was telling Cecilia and Chia that I remember the HMarts I visited in Southern Cal all seemed to have a food court, and I was not wrong. There was a food hall with 5 Korean restaurants. I settled for boring tonkatsu ramen. Note to self, eat at the food hall before loading up the grocery cart.     
But Cecilia and Chia ordered each a topoki (rice cakes) or maybe it was the rapoki (rice cakes and ramen), bulgogi and pork belly respectively. I saw cheese in the description and thought no thanks.
 
But I then tasted Cecilia's dish and thought oh my golly that's delicious and suffered food envy. Next time. And of course, I noticed this collaged canvas.
More inspo for my 2D design aspirations.

No comments:

Post a Comment