Friday, April 28, 2023

2D & clay: thumbnails for final assignment & more tableware

Sketched a lot yesterday for my art class’s final assignment to compose a “bad” pictogram or the opposite of a clearly understood pictorial symbol that would have the observer puzzling their head. And yeah I’m going to trace the figures.                      
The instructor said consider semiotics and Keith Haring, which I’ll need to research. I do remember liking Haring’s graffiti a lot during the 80’s. Maybe I can compose a subway or bus stop scene where Haring’s figures are pondering graffiti with pictorial symbols of humans. I need to refresh my memory on how to draw graffiti and paint it to suggest spray canned text. I was recalling Patrick telling me the plot to a Twilight Zone episode titled, “To Serve Humans.” I could add a colon and append. To Serve Humans: A Cookbook.
And I couldn’t help but get political about what’s happening now in the culture wars surrounding the issue of abortion. Does Generation Z learn in history class about back alley abortions before Roe v. Wade.
And I was so hung over yesterday all day even into clay club in the afternoon when it was too warm and giving me a headache because I was dehydrated. But I stayed until 5:45, building small tableware with the last of my cone 10 clay.                  
And so I added to my 2 scoops: 2 spoon rests, 2 taper holders(if they shrink to too small for votives) and 3 votive candle bowls. Excited for using the flambé and blue celadon glazes I just mixed. Can I do wax and tape resist on the spoon rests so that a rutile glaze won’t run out? Or maybe just stick to Marshmallow White on them? Rutile for sure on the votive and taper holders. Flambé and blue celadon on the scoops.

No comments:

Post a Comment