Wednesday, April 5, 2023

clay: cone 10 pondering

Yesterday I worked at Capuchino and finally studied the pots I made that were fired before spring break, which Zan wanted me to take from the studio. I made 8 Black Mountain plates, and only 3 are useable. AAAaargh. So disappointing. Oh well. I do remember the first cone 10 plate I made, a Coleman porcelain plate that was warped to hell and promptly dropped into the trash bin which is where these 5 plates must go. I am getting a little better. Anyway I brought home two of the plates and traded one for a bowl with Zan.
 
There was a small saucer of this rutile glaze on this cup, but I labored at the grinder with it for a good hour. I love it and want to now use it.
And I was hoping to see more of a blue bloom on my Coleman Red glaze on Coleman porcelain cups, but of course it's in the interior of the cups. And my rutile bowls....what the heck?!? I thought I used rutile, but it doesn't look like it. I guess because they don't have any texture?
 
However, I am satisfied with my cone 10 cups. I like 'em. They look rustic and durable and handmade but not homemade.


I'm flustered by my mandala art assignment and have been suffering artist's block. I found these photo images on my phone.

I've got to let go of trying to integrate something floral into my mandala. Baby steps because I'm still a fledgling artist. I'm probably going to re-draw my mandala that I penciled on to Bristol paper on the backside. There are too many erasures to try to paint over. And that's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment