Thursday, July 6, 2023

cook: breakfast for dinner and july 4th side dishes

After my vacation in Owensboro, Kentucky and eating too many French fries and not enough barbecue, all I could cook for dinner if not eating an arugula and grilled salmon dinner was fried eggs with hot sauce and a toasted English muffin or crumpets. Add in grilled tomatoes for a vegetarian English breakfast. 

However, I was craving other hometown foods like a Noah’s bagel with cream cheese, red onion, capers and hot smoked salmon.                           
And then I was also craving sushi.  While at Suruki, I found a couple of cute sake cups too.    
 
And since I was downtown, might as well stop in at my favorite produce shop for some cilantro, cucumber and jalapenos, and oh hey! Therapy opened up downtown and I had no idea that the boutique was an Asian American Pacific Islander biz. And so I felt more than okay buying a new lunch tote for my back-to-school shopping.                        
Oh and here's the irony of souvenir shopping in Kentucky. I adored the air plants I saw at ROMPfest, and they were only $5 and $15 each! I bought just one and learned from the vendor that she gets the plants from San Diego! I've returned my tiny houseplant to its state of origin, California.              
And vacation is happening so fast. 4th of July already happened. I just barbecued brats, but I also made salads. While two Russet potatoes were boiling, I combined yellow mustard, mayo, chopped red onion and cornichons and celery and dill. However, too mustardy for my taste.                   
 
And so I chopped two eggs, folded them into more mayonnaise and added them to the potato salad. Better but still too mustardy. My Clinkendagger Broadway pea salad though was reliably yummy.
And so lunch yesterday was just a mish mash of salads.
And I'm back to my no food waste ways and made Christmas (both red and green sauces) enchiladas with the rest of the rotisserie chicken in my fridge as well as leftover chopped red onion from the holiday grilling.
And must not forget the serrano and jalapeno chile peppers found in the vegetable bin.
 
I gave one of the casseroles to Cecilia who loved the added heat. And now I'm in the mood to cook again. I've got plans to cook lamb and feta burgers and something different with the skin-on and bone-in chicken thighs I bought on sale this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment