Monday, May 10, 2021

Clay and Cooking: Mother's Day Weekend

I suppose in a pandemic, offspring are bringing their mothers breakfast in bed as opposed to taking them out to a restaurant for a sit-down Sunday brunch. I'm not a mother, but I refuse to feel bad for not having that ingrained expectation of becoming a parent. I know myself well enough to know that I would never feel prepared enough to care for a baby, nor of nurturing a child until it entered adulthood. I'm so very ill equipped to deal with poverty, maternity leave, struggling to access the resources or health services to care for a child. And so this past weekend, I mothered and treated myself to Eggs Benedict. The first pic below are the Eggs Benedict featured in a food column of the New York Times, and below that is my attempt. 


This was the first time where I managed to poach my eggs without puncturing them before getting them atop the leftover Christmas ham that had been in my freezer and toasted English muffin. And now I’m craving for any dinner this week poached eggs atop Denver potatoes O’Brien or even just a buttered toasted English muffin.

For Saturday clay, I made two mugs like the ones pictured below--these two mugs are already in the kiln and then made plans to watch my recording of a Great Performances play in the evening. This is the plus for me of being childless. I have time and energy for my own pursuits. Will I miss not having some filial affection in my dotage? Perhaps, but I don't think so. 


Hubs is now able to eat some solid food, and so when he asked what could I cook for a proper dinner, I promptly answered tacos. I made what I would call chicken enchilada tacos. I chopped leftover rotisserie chicken with a bit of canned enchilada sauce.

Finally a meal where I labored with love and fed someone else beside myself though if I were cooking for kids if I had them, I'd be feeding them tacos too at least once a week if not twice. Every. week.
I also happened to catch an episode of Milk Street, where Chris Kimball hosted an episode where he cooked Mexican Stewed Beans with Salsa Fresca, which in turn reminded me that I haven't cooked Frijoles de la Olla in a while. I know I’ve some pinto beans somewhere in my carb drawer.

No comments:

Post a Comment