Saturday, May 29, 2021

Cooking: Steak Torta

The PTSO let us order meals from a local Mexican restaurant, and I chose a Steak Torta. It was not what I expected. Steak Milanese? I thought it would be like a carne asada sandwich though I did like the onions and chiles as an additional filling. I guess I was expecting something like the mollettes or open faced breakfast sandwiches I used to eat at Rick Bayless’s Frontera restaurant at O’Hare Airport in Chicago. I love a savory meal at the beginning of the day that doesn’t always include eggs.            


And so I had the other half for lunch the next day, but I couldn’t settle for more bland. A slice of pepper Jack and chipotle Mayo and sprinkles of chopped cilantro turned it into a much better grilled sandwich. And so one of these evenings I’m making this Torta with leftover steak but much better than we could get at a restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment