Tuesday, June 28, 2022

cloth and cook: modern cross block and south in the mouth summer

I had been sewing all morning and afternoon. My sketch (and adjustments to the logs of the block) of a modern cross block was coming to life.      
I have sewn a total of 12 blocks though the picture below only shows 10.
 
However, I needed a break from rotary cutting and stitching and needed to get dinner early on the table, so Patrick could get to his board meeting on time. He had just brought home crooked neck and zucchini, and I wanted to make fritters again. What is it about summer that makes me wanna cook southern comfort food? This time, instead of grating an onion, I just used onion and garlic powder, and chopped a scallion and added frozen corn. I had marinated thin pork chops in buttermilk, paprika, and salt. Forgot to add hot sauce. And then I dredged the chops in Italian breadcrumbs and black pepper.
 
I fried the pork chops first. Three minutes on one side in medium hot oil and two or three minutes on the other side.
 
Fried pork chops sure is a lot easier and less time consuming than fried chicken.
And then I skimmed all the cracklings from the fat and plopped the summer squash fritters next.
The frying of the fritters took five minutes per side.
And because time was of the essence, I didn't make macaroni and cheese from scratch and instead served up Stouffers.
Nor did I make a ranch or goddess dressing for the fritters, but it was delicious anyway. Gotta love one pan frying. Another favorite summer supper until the tomato harvest. And salmon grilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment