Friday, June 3, 2022

cook: summer rolls

I didn’t know I had bought two bags of shrimp, which overcrowded the freezer, and so I made rolls (and a few seafood salads with 1000 Island dressing) to celebrate June. And I was reminded of my summer staple when I saw this recipe on Instagram.     

The first time I made Vietnamese spring rolls was a visit to my colleague, Noah’s house where he showed me how to use rice paper. It’s fiddley work, and my rolls below are not the most elegant-looking as this brand of rice paper kept tearing on me. I’ve found the key is to keep things wet, both my cutting board on which to roll and wrap and my hands. It helps to work near my sink. And instead of stuffing my rolls with rice noodles, I make my rolls more keto-friendly with just shrimp, spring greens, mint, basil, cilantro, cucumber, and jalapeños.

I also forgot about the Vietnamese fish sauce and lime juice concoction in my fridge, and so I’ll use the remainder of the shrimp in a rice noodle bowl. I love the leisure to make these kinds of light, vegetable forward meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment