Monday, June 20, 2022

cook: how I make an oyster po'boy in california

My favorite dishes when I traveled to New Orleans, Louisiana had been the barbecued shrimp (which to my surprise contained no barbecue sauce, but was shrimp braised in beer, butter, garlic and cayenne)at Deanie's Seafood Restaurant and an oyster po'boy at the French Quarter Jazz Festival. While I don't have access to fat oysters from the bayou, I can buy West Coast oysters from a seafood purveyor which are smaller and so flavorful and sweet that they're best eaten raw. This weekend, the Japanese grocery store had a special on kaki, panko-breaded fried oysters, which I bought, along with a bolilo roll and a head of iceberg lettuce from Safeway.        

When I was at the festival, the lady at the food booth told me that she likes her oyster po'boy with mayonnaise and ketchup. I decided instead to make a remoulade sauce with mayonnaise, stone ground mustard, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and scallions. I was too lazy to also chop capers.
I heated the already fried oysters in a 350 degree oven for five minutes and then topped them over the chopped lettuce and sliced tomatoes laid on my roll slathered with the remoulade sauce.
 
Omg delicious even without a backdrop of Cajun and zydeco music.

No comments:

Post a Comment