Friday, June 17, 2022

cook: birria tacos

While returning to my car one evening from Celia's, where I drank margaritas and ate quesadillas, nachos, and taquitos with co-workers, I passed by a taco truck, cooking and selling birrias. The smells of frying meat emanating from the truck were fantastically enticing, and I told a co-worker, Oh! I wish we hadn't already eaten Mexican because I would love to try a birria taco. Another co-worker came up behind, bearing a bag, saying she bought a birria burrito because she rarely comes upon goat burritos. What!?! I was missing out. And so on one Off-the-Grid food truck night, I ordered birria tacos. A quesabirria taco is kind of a hybrid of a taco and quesadilla. That truck I had wanted one from? Their quesabirria was goat, but most trucks catering to white people's palates serve a beef birria taco with melted cheese with a cup of rich, chile-tinged consommé, or beef broth, on the side to sip between bites. I am on a mission to eat that goat taco, but also to make my own birria des res of corn tortilla dipped in consommé and then topped with white cheese that's then topped with that stewed beef and fried in oil on the flat top until crisp with craggy bits of browned cheese that has oozed out. However, just as I don't cook my own carnitas, I don't know if I'll ever cook my own birria. The supermarket now sells birria. Yes, you read that right. No need to cook for hours scratch-made stewed beef. 

Cooking these birria tacos entailed putting the bag of beef and its juices into a pot of simmering water until hot and then opening to plop onto corn tortillas already topped with cheddar cheese. The instructions called for mozzarella cheese, but I wanted to get rid of cheese leftover from enchiladas night. I then ladled consommé over the taco, letting the cheese continue to melt and the tortilla to crisp. Hubs complained that I was letting the tacos burn. And so I folded them over and started a third.       

 
We each had three street tacos.
 
I needed to have added a bit more grease to my cast iron to make my taco crispier.
My version didn't taste as good as El Fuego's birria tacos, but it was a change from our carne asada or carnitas tacos night.
Pot roast tacos night, I call it.

No comments:

Post a Comment