Saturday, June 11, 2022

dine: last meal in los angeles

I had been disappointed by Eggslut in Glendale, but on impulse and on my last morning in Southern California, I decided to return to Eggslut, but in the Central Market of downtown Los Angeles before hitting the highway back home. I watched the dudes behind the breakfast counter, cooking all the breakfasts. But I didn't so much watch the guys at the flat top, flipping sausage and bacon, toasting brioche buns, and frying eggs to the left of me, but the dude at the right who was prepping my Eggslut. I could see the jars of potato puree topped with egg in the large cambo. He went in the back to bring out a sheet tray of more jarred potatoes and eggs to put in the sous vide while moving the jars that had already cooked for an hour on top of them. When an order is called, he puts one of the finished eggs in the pot of boiling water to his left to reheat before boxing (twice!) and serving it up to a customer.
Too much cardboard. Really they should put all of the breakfast into one box. I didn't want to unmask with other people and opted to bring it back into my car to eat.
My first bite was salty because of the grains of gray salt atop the egg. Interesting. I couldn't really taste the chives, but the pureed potatoes were as delicious as my own homecooked mashed potatoes and my egg was perfectly runny. 
I noticed while eating that this is the area where French General does their treasure hunting for jewelry findings workshop.
Okay here's my evaluation of my breakfast. It was tasty. I liked it though it was a bit carb heavy with bread AND potatoes, but yeah you want to mop up all the saucy potatoes and runny egg with the toasted baguette. I don't know if I will re-create this dish at home with the pureed potatoes. I really like Ina Garten's herb baked eggs recipe and would love to instead re-create her dish in sous vide jars because really my favorite egg dishes are all about dipping toasted artisan bread into saucy, yummy, runny egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment