Tuesday, December 12, 2023

consumerist consumption: holiday gifting

On Black Friday, I went to my local public library and scored! And then to my favorite boutique gift shop. And then picked up lunch from my favorite Japanese grocery store.                  

I'd been looking for a steamer basket for months! I so didn't want to order one from Amazon. I'm thinking of getting another one and creating a gift basket with chili sauces for my nephew, but could I include a bag of frozen dumplings? Or maybe I just find a small wok from World Market and a cookbook? Wrap it all in cellophane to allow a bit of gawking before opening. I love individualizing gifts.           
 
And the grandnieces who will be getting these plush dolls wore their advent necklaces.

My niece and nephew also messaged me pics of their kids crafting the advent presents I sent.                    
 
I also sent them an Elf on the Shelf, but I didn't send the 2-year-old anything, a major remiss on my part.
 
He doesn't look too left out from my holiday giving thankfully. But yesterday I ordered online a book and a toy. 

On Sunday I went a bit nuts at the discount store on getting these kids crafting kits or games or art supplies. And then to Michael's for even more crafting kits and art supplies for the nephew. Must. stop. shopping. And so the plan for the rest of the week is to wrap these gifts as a craftivity and fuhgettaboutit.                      
And last night I broke open my wedding anniversary gift of a bigass bottle of my favorite wine and ate the rest of the hotpot ingredients in my fridge.
I splurged on another journal. 
Last spring I took a 2-D art class at a community college, and I want to get back into some kind of art practice but not in a college class with deadlines for submission. And so I'm thinking something more self-paced and freewheeling like Sketchbook Skool or online classes from an art museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment