Tuesday, December 19, 2023

cook + craft: the art of the wrap and a salmon bowl

I’m a huge fan of Kraft or brown paper bag for wrapping presents, but this year I’ve been using butcher paper instead though I used what holiday wrap was in the closet for the presents that my husband is giving to the children in his family. My presents look like branding I'm copying from Crate and Barrel. We only buy Christmas gifts for kids. He gave toys while I gave crafts and books...                 
I took a break from wrapping to watch Odio il Natale...
Coincidentally, the two soon-to-join lovebirds were eating panettone laced with cannabis and I had just sliced myself the Italian buttery yeast bread studded with citron fruit and golden raisins (minus the marijuana) to eat and sip my cuppa.
Yeah my husband bakes himself chocolate concoctions while I buy European commercially baked treats.
Earlier, I made myself a not so simple lunch of a salmon bowl. After ceramics class the previous day, I picked up broiled salmon for half off at the Japanese grocery store and then went to town on chopped vegetables: cucumber, carrots, red cabbage, cilantro, and green leaf lettuce....
....boiled rice vermicelli and mixed boiling water with sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, lime pulp, chopped garlic, Sriracha (because I had no sambal oelek and couldn't dig for the Thai chilies in my freezer)....
which made for a non-oil dressing with bright salty acidity to soak into the rice noodles and lend contrast to the oily fish and crunchy vegetables. A perfect lunch to use up ingredients in my fridge and pantry.
And so I'll be making more of these salad bowls during the winter break ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment