Wednesday, July 10, 2024

cloth: batting and basting swim camp quilt for a baby

When my nephew had his fifth baby, I knew I had to finish the quilt for his fourth baby. I had made his second baby's quilt from this same pattern called Campfire from Suzy Quilts; I originally bought it as a kit from Craftsy with oxblood, peach, pink, goldenrod, and white fabrics. This time I used a cooler palette and love it; because of all the blue and aqua fabrics, I call it Swim Camp. When I finish the No Shrinking Violet quilt, I pulled this out of the closet and discovered to my pleasant surprise that the top was already finished and that I had already bought enough backing fabric. And so all I had to do was cut the backing in half and stitch back together to make it long enough. It was surprisingly easy. This time I used our California King bed rather than the floor of our small living room condo to spread out the quilt top and backing.

And I had batting too, but it was all "Franken-bat" or cut up in parts because I had cut up a king sized batting for smaller quilts and would have to stitch it back together for Swim Camp.
I considered NOT stitching on that 3-inch wide batting, but in the end did because if my stitching stretched and pulled, then I would regret if I had to rip out seams in order to add more batting. I speak from experience. I then rolled it up to pin baste the next day.
And my fingers are sore and pin pricked, but I'm skipping ceramics today to stitch this sandwich today. Doubt that I'll finish today, but maybe I'll get it done before the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment