Wednesday, July 3, 2024

cook: clam & courgette linguine

Our house cleaner arrived, which meant Patrick and I had to vacate our condo from 10 to 3. We fueled up and then washed Patrick’s truck after which I said, let’s go to Half Moon Bay. Before going to the nursery for more flowers and vegetables, I said, I want clams! Let's go to the seafood market before you get to Main Street. And the seafood market that I thought was attached to the Flying Fish Grill was not (Half Moon Bay Fish Market was actually one block up, but I had not known that), and so my maps app took us to Pillar Point Harbor, where I bought not only Manila clams but also Miyagi oysters, both from Washington, and chatted with the friendly fishmonger. Not only did he kindly pack my shellfish in ice because we had other chores to finish before getting home, but he also charged me for Fanny Bay oysters which were cheaper he said. Aww, such a mensch.  
I told Patrick that pelagic means fish (all that Latin education), and so it's like the sign says Fish Fish Market. I normally go to Barbara's Fish Trap or the Half Moon Bay Brewery when I want to dine, but I'll have to remember this seafood restaurant which used to be Joanne Ketch, the next time I lunch at the coast. I also want to eat Peruvian ceviche at La Costanera--that restaurant is where I think I want to celebrate our wedding anniversary.
In fact, when Patrick asked if I wanted us to eat lunch in Half Moon Bay, he was surprised when I said, nah because I had good leftovers at home. That afternoon, I grilled the clams in my cast iron in the Ooni oven with Cecilia for white clam pizzas, which was good. However, I was too busy cooking and managing the fire to take photos though I did capture Patrick's pepperoni pizza. I love that I bought the Ooni.                               
  
I was so tired of shucking that I threw the rest of the clams in a jar and stuck them in the fridge to eat the next day. Cecilia also gave me some of her fantastic white sauce. The next day, I decided to lunch on the rest of the clams and that white sauce, which I thinned with some of the clam juice. I had a few zucchini and sliced up one along with green onion and basil also from the garden.
Normally I would plate the vegetables separate from a main, but I thought instead to just cook it all in one pan. I sautéed the salted zucchini to drive off some of its moisture and then added the seafood
 
Then I tossed in the al dente linguine and herbs, and oh my goodness, it was a scrumptious lunch before my stint in the parks and rec ceramic studio.
 
After ceramics, I knew Patrick and I were just going to eat leftover vegetable lasagna, but I had been wanting to make a ranch dressing for all the lettuces harvested. I bought buttermilk just for that purpose. I knew I wanted a very herbaceous sauce. I mashed cloves of garlic and then chopped shallot, scallions, chives, parsley and dill. And then I mixed buttermilk, mayonnaise, sour cream(for thickening), white wine vinegar, and salt with the herbs--ranch dressing done.
 
I also shucked oysters from our run to Half Moon Bay and made a mignonette from just chopped shallot, white wine vinegar and rice vinegar--lovely. I treated myself to a chilled glass of Chardonnay.
    
I've been sober curious on this summer break, and I have to admit that it does my body good. But now and then, a 6 ounce pour of wine is rather nice with dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment