Monday, July 29, 2024

clay: pottery sale

I thought I was really good at doing absolutely nothing, but I've packed this summer with activities like the pottery sale this past weekend. The day before, I affixed my ceramic pins to cards, and dinner was super casual of just hot dogs and beans.
 
And with four hot dogs left for other too-lazy-to-cook lunches or dinner. I've made dinner plates, but my hot dog meal impels me to want to make cereal bowls and salad plates.
On Sunday morning, I heated breakfast burritos from leftover refried beans, Mexican chorizo, scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese, and tortillas assembled the night before.

I decided to keep my pottery looking cohesive and set out just my speckled buff and red clay tableware as well as my ceramic pins. And I was stoked to sell 4 speckled buff dinner plates. The studio owner's partner bought my pitcher, and a couple of my hillbilly cups made for whiskey and shots also sold. 
Pottery sale on during a cold and windy July day.
Meral is a much more prolific potter because of her teaching, but she set out a limited color palette.
And I'm pleased that I got to sell a lot of Meral's pottery. Her best customer was her fellow instructor, Amy who bought a vase, a bowl, and a mug while I drank my coffee from my recently finished Sadie mug.
I admired Harper's (another instructor) jungle gem glazes on his pots. And yeah I'll be copying or making more of these irregular and sinuous shaped vases. I'm recalling the porcelain pot inspired by Aalvar Aalto's free form objects. I'm loving the pinks and salmons on the pots below and thinking they would be lovely with Patrick's dahlias of similar colors.
From another instructor-potter, I admired Ritz Green glaze on a Bmix with grog and Coleman porcelain mugs, respectively. What a difference how a cone 10 clay body can react to a glaze.
Lastly, I took home my finished air plant shelf home, installed my Tillandsia into it and plopped a succulent into the tiny pot.
 
I rather love it and want to make more air plant shelves. My succulent planter didn't sell, but I'm not mad about it as I aim to build a collection of white planters for some houseplants that were gifted to us along with an orchid. You betcha I'm going into the Clay Life studio this week for that very purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment