Thursday, July 25, 2024

cook: midsummer meals

I hadn't expected that my summer would be so event-filled, and because of yoga, swimming, canoe paddling practices, and a couple of slow sewing socials, I haven't been cooking a lot.                   

After soaking pinto beans overnight and thawing frozen chicken breasts, I spent one summer afternoon boiling the beans and marinating the chicken in orange juice, lime juice, lemon juice and all the zests with olive oil, hot smoked paprika, chipotle pepper, oregano, and cumin. The refried beans and pollo asado turned into...

 
that evening's DIY tacos.
 
On another night, I resorted to buying Trader Joe's Bool Kogi and then grilling with summer squashes to eat with leftover rice and banchan from our rooftop lunch party. We finished that tough meat(which I'll never buy again), but I love that I've Korean banchan in my meal rotation.
Our freezer is stocked because Patrick likes to buy rib eyes from Costco, and so a typical dinner will be steak and zucchini on the barbie along with a tomato salad. On that night I made my usual lemon horseradish cream (just lemon zest, lemon juice, chives, and lots of horseradish in sour cream) and also made a homemade steak sauce with Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, soy sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, and rice vinegar. Wished I had thought to add tabasco too.
On another day after a grueling canoe paddling practice, just the Friday grocery store $5 special of buffalo chicken wings with homemade buttermilk dressing and lots of raw carrots, celery, salted tomatoes and a refreshing glass of cola.
And after a warehouse run yesterday, I've got Salmon Milano and Korean short ribs for this weekend's meals for leftovers to eat for dinner on the weekdays. To quote Jacques Pepin in his inimitable French accent, "Happy Cooking" for next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment