Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Cooking: The Art of Scrambled Eggs or Ooh La La Oeufs Brouilles

I weeded this cook book from one of my school libraries, which was last checked out and returned June 10, 1985. I had grand plans of reproducing it in clay in some kind of form--I still want to do that.  And then I thought I was going to destroy it and remake it into some piece of art.  But I never got to either of those art endeavors, and I stuck it back on my bookcase because I do love reading cook books and adore Julia Child.  I turn to the internet a lot for recipes, but it's lovely to open a book, read prose, marvel over an illustration or photograph, turn the page. I once watched Jacques Pepin cook the French omelette and vowed that I would do the same some day.  However, before the recipe on the omelette in the Art of French Cooking was the recipe for scrambled eggs and this morning, that's what I cooked.  I beat an egg with a tablespoon of heavy whipping cream because I thought more fat would ensure velvety and soft curds. One egg and so just one pinch of salt because the cookbook called for four to six eggs I think and a quarter teaspoon of salt plus a pinch of black pepper.
Who's not entranced by "creamy soft curds that hold their shape from fork to mouth"?  I deviated from the recipe before as mentioned above, but my egg was not watery at all because of all the fat from butter and cream. 
I broke down a couple months ago and bought more cookware--a bigger nonstick pan because my individual Teflon egg pan was just not gonna cut it anymore as the eggs need to slip and slide in the pan on to the plate.  I chopped chives for a pop of green and for a lovely allium flavor and melted way too much butter, but we all know butter makes everything better.
Gentle heat and slow, and I even put my plate in the oven to heat. 
Oh my goodness.  This scrambled egg was seriously one of the most delicious and simplest dishes I've ever eaten.  I could've eaten five more or at least another, but I didn't.  And the chives really amplified the deliciousness for me.  Nourishing and so comforting that I didn't even miss the buttered English muffin I was gonna eat with my egg.  I'll definitely be cooking breakfast for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment