Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Quarantine Cooking: Refried Beans & Waste Not, Want Not

Tonight's meal was not exactly leftovers, but I did not want the Anaheim chiles in my fridge to go soft before cooking them into chile rellenos. I also had a jar of cooking oil from frying potatoes for french fries to go with our hamburgers the other night to use tonight for frying tortillas and stuffed and battered chiles. I also had another jar of leavings comprised of grease from chorizo and bacon. I also had a casserole dish of boiled pinto beans. Duh! Refried beans.
I had just returned from a walk to our plot in the community garden. And so I chopped spring red onions along with a Roma tomato half gone and garlic (also from our garden)to make the refried beans savory.
Next I melted and heated the leftover chorizo and bacon grease.
Then I added the aromatics. I let them soften and release steam for 20 to 30 minutes.  And then I added the beans.
And let it simmer for quite a while until the moisture was driven off and the beans were a soft and unctuous yummy. And just like last night, I got lost in cooking the rest of my Mexican-themed dinner of chile rellenos, fresh fried tortilla chips, Mexican-restaurant style refried beans, and mashing avocados and spice for guacamole. Dinner was that good that I took no more pictures plus I'd already blogged before on how to make chile rellenos. Sorry.  And now for dessert. More wine and Cuties. And a hot chocolate chip cookie because the hubs has now taken over the kitchen and turned to pastry baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment