Saturday, April 11, 2020

Quarantine Cooking: Taco Thursday and Cookbook Organization

If not marriage to a guy who can't eat the same meal two nights in a row (though yes we rotate leftovers to every other night), I would eat tacos everyday.  I basically lived off quesadillas and burritos every day in college.  I had pulled carnitas from the freezer and was elated to have stocked produce for the tacos in my fridge.
I love greenery encased in a white corn (which is sweeter than yellow) tortilla taco: carnitas, chopped white onion, cilantro, pico de gallo, and butter lettuce with lots of lime squeezed on top.  I had forgotten to garnish my tacos with my favorite Valentina sauce--they were that yummo.
Earlier in the day I had decided to organize my big black binder of recipes.  Right away, I had three piles for vegetarian which included starchy sides and quite a few vegan recipes here and there, pescetarian, and carnivore.
My final categories:  Appetizers & Tea, Vegetarian, Surf, Turf, Condiments (including sauces and dressings),Desserts, Mezze, and Friendsgiving.
Yes I can certainly subdivide recipes within each into other groupings like Northern European, Asian, Latin American. My Surf was a total mishmash of anything from the sea including seaweed and even if the only seafood ingredient was Asian fish sauce. The Turf chapter basically started with chicken, then pork, then lamb, and finally beef.  My Mezze section is basically comprised of all the Middle Eastern recipes I love.  I adore tea sandwiches and meals that's basically noshing on all types of appetizers--and so they merited their own section.  My Dessert contents were the skimpiest.  All of this organization was followed by a shallow dive into Bon Appetit's "Taco Nation."  This issue is my all-time favorite for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment