Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Quarantine Cooking: Breakfast for Dinner

I had mushrooms I sliced the other night for pizza and didn't use them all and decided tonight they would go into an omelette. It wasn't French, but it wasn't quite an American omelet either. I despaired a little that it got brown, but the taste was fantastic even if the egg wasn't a delicate curd throughout. Why did I hate eggs as a little kid and a young adult? Before preschool and kindergarten, my mother would cook me a soft boiled egg which had the texture of snot and had a fatty, eggy taste. Eww, of course I wouldn't have liked eggs. Also as teenager and in my 20s, eggs looked gross and unappealing and omelets were just meh. I changed my mind when a friend and I went to Denny's and ordered Grand Slam breakfasts. A fried egg sunny side-up with a runny yolk in which to dip toast suddenly looked like it might taste good. I liked it. I liked it. I also got over my aversion of mayonnaise which are eggs emulsified and does so much to moisten a dead sandwich.
We didn't need sausage tonight for dinner, but I'm in the habit of putting meat into a meal in some way for the husband who is a carnivore.  However, the hubby complained that it was too much food, and so okay next time, just a French omelette and an English muffin split between two people.  But the next breakfast for dinner meal I think will be banana chocolate chip pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment