Monday, April 27, 2020

Quarantine Cooking: Italian

I'm excited for the four balls of no-knead dough a neighbor brought to the dismay of Patrick.  Whatevs. He won't regret it when I've made pepperoni pizza.  Two have been on my counter since Saturday, and the other two are in Ziploc bags in my fridge slow fermenting. I'll be making a Margherita pizza too as well as foccaccia.
I took advantage of empty fridge space from eating leftovers(whether I wanted them or not) and took out meat from the freezer to defrost. I also had celery heart left in the fridge and green onion from the garden. Tuna salad please.
The onion was kind of sharp, and so I took out a jar of dill pickles to use some of its juice to mellow it out. And celery seed will amp the celery hearts' flavor.
 A tablespoon of mayonnaise and a couple teaspoons of Dijon mustard and a can of my favorite Italian tuna (tonno!)packed in olive oil, which I do not skim off.  Lovely lunches lie ahead.
I actually didn't eat a tuna salad for lunch. I needed to use up leftover corned beef and thousand island dressing and grilled both into a Swiss cheese sandwich. Kind of heavy, and so for dinner I needed to not have starch. I had defrosted a steak. Sliced cherry tomatoes and bocconcini and basil to sprinkle with salt and drizzle with olive oil. Chopped fennel, radishes, butter lettuce and arugula and tossed with balsamic dressing.
The usual neighbor came over, so that the New York sirloin was a minute too long on the grill to be a perfect medium rare.
 No biggie. I made a lemon horseradish cream.
 Too lazy to grate lemon zest and drank sparkling water, so I could imbibe a Sidecar for dessert.  I still love to cook, but I think I'm bit bored from blogging about it and just need to revel in the activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment