Monday, October 25, 2021

Clay: Dinnerware Ambitions

I had gone to my local charity shop looking for a clay form, specifically a round platter with a coupe rim. Most of the platters were oval and the chargers had too big a rim or some ugly decorative element that wouldn’t work as a plate mold. And then I saw this kitschy tray.                                          

Tacky am I right?!? But I think it’s the perfect mold. I measured—at least 11” in diameter. With clay shrinkage I might end up with a dinner-sized plate and not a salad plate after two firings than if I used a regular plate.                          
I was ever so patient after pressing Obsidian (formerly Cassius) Clay into this tray. I removed the plastic I had over it after smoothing with a rib and buffing and refining the edges. And when it was almost bone dry, I even used sand paper to smooth rough edges even more but let some uneven texture remain for that handmade obviousness. And I rather love it. Wabi sabi for sure.            

I’ll remember to measure its diameter after the bisque firing. The plan is to put white underglaze into the bottom striping and in my name, then wax resist the bottom and the rim for that contrast between raw and glazed. And then dip into Colonial White or Gloss White overglaze. And I can’t wait to use this form for porcelain. But since I’ve only the one mold, it’s slow plate making. I’m hoping to slip into the studio Tuesday afternoon to press another slab of dark clay and maybe take home some clay balls to pinch pot into spoons. And if this plate fires to the right size, I'll want to make at least 4 plaster slump molds to make multiple plates at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment