Wednesday, July 20, 2022

clay: butter dish

I've generally been going into the ceramics classroom at my work place on Tuesdays and Thursdays and occasionally on a Wednesday or Friday this past summer, but this will be my next to the last week of those kinds of all-day makes because I go on a beach vacation next week. And then it's back to books, back to school--and less time for creative cooking and crafting. And so back to school shopping for a new pair of Converse sneakers and jeans because yoga pants are now only for yoga and not early pandemic daily wear. I'll also be changing my visits to the gym to either early in the morning or early evening rather than early or mid afternoons. Clay club after August only on Tuesday and Thursday late afternoons and cooking on weekends. I'm scheduling and resuming meal deliveries once I start work again.

But today per usual, same shorts and t-shirts and work on my butter dish. I took pics of all four edges, looking down and from the side to assess where I need to make the lid fit into its bottom.
I didn't make a new bottom but instead adhered strips of clay on the rectangle I made Saturday into which the lid would butt up against. 
 
And gosh it was a lot of carving and making skinnier and refining those edges so that the lid would fit into the bottom.
Eek, I'm going to have to use the green scouring pad to smooth the top of the dish.
I've a 25-pound bag of Dixon Sculpture clay, and Patrick reminded me that I have to make him this bonsai dish.
So little time for so much clay, but I suppose I've got the rest of the fall semester for my 25 pounds of Navajo wheel, 25 pounds of Black Mountain, 50 pounds of Speckled Buff, and 25 pounds of Bmix.

No comments:

Post a Comment