Saturday, July 9, 2022

cook: tuna melt

I’d been craving a tuna fish sandwich and even went to the trouble of buying celery for another seafood lunch. With a fork, I mashed and mixed one can of Mediterranean tuna packed in olive oil (don’t discard) with mayonnaise, both Best Foods and Kewpie and the remnants of beer brat mustard and no pickle relish because I wanted my salad more creamy and not too tangy. I also added a stalk of celery, chopped, and red onion, finely diced. A sprinkle of salt and black pepper. But I realized I only had one slice of sourdough bread and since my crab melt had been so delicious, I thought I'd do it again, but with tuna. I toasted the bread in a 350 degree oven for a few minutes and buttered one side. Generously spoon tuna salad onto the toast.

 
Layer a slice of Swiss and some grated Gruyère atop to cover the fish salad.                      
 
I then broiled the sandwich on high for 6 minutes.
I loved it as much as the crab melt. And since I'm out of bread, I'll do it again but with a thick slice of tomato, which we're starting to harvest from our garden finally. And if I do make it to the grocery store, I’ll get English muffins if I'm missing bread. I didn't add lemon juice though I thought my sandwich perfect, but next time. Also Ina Garten flavors her mayonnaise with anchovy. That's brilliant! Okay okay dill would make the salad crazy ass delicious. I just made a green goddess which contains anchovy (and dill!) and will add that to my tuna salad. Retro comfort food? Count me in.

No comments:

Post a Comment