Sunday, July 17, 2022

clay: cocktail cups

I was so charmed by Zan’s shot cups she’d made for her cousin’s wedding shower that I made cocktail cups from the leftover slabs of my butter dish.

I had to take them home to finish, and today’s hot weather was making them leather hard so that I had to work fast. I’ve a feeling they’ll be bone dry by tomorrow. I posed them next to a cup with glazing that didn’t please me at first, but now I’m not as annoyed by the crawling. I think the next cups I make will be fluted, which will create interesting glazing I think.               
I’ll have “bonus cups” for whoever buys whiskey cups. And here's a mug I saw online of the same clay that I used.
I love that ombre effect of pink which segues into orange. And of course, I've got to make cups from the Obsidian clay I've been making into plates like the brown stoneware mug below.

I misted the butter dish and put it inside my damp box that has no plaster.          
I’m wondering if I should make a new plate for the butter dish. I should’ve slabbed together smaller slabs to make the plate part bigger, but I’ll bring the two parts to clay club and see if I can make edges for the lid to fit into or make another smaller lid and then have two butter dish prototypes. So many tasks for my clay ambitions. I took home a bag of white stoneware clay to maybe use on the wheel I borrowed. I also need to call Clay People in order to identify which of my 25-pound bags contains Navajo Wheel or Dixon Sculpture. Or maybe I just make fucking plates from all 50 pounds of clay and see what results. I also want to pick up a bag of plaster to make hump molds and a damp box with this plastic container. Speckled buff plates are happening this year! I should probably drop in on Meral's class on Monday to drop off these cocktail cups and pick up my sea salt crock to add white underglaze to except I'm out of white underglaze because Zan used up the rest of what I had. And not only did I put in an hour of ukulele practice today, I also cut and stitched a bunch of crosses that maybe I can finish bordering tomorrow and maybe hand quilt during my beach getaway. But really I want to maybe not do any sewing this time around in my vacation rental and just stare at the waves and sip herbal tea or take long walks on the beach. I've a feeling the temperatures won't even be as hot as it was in March in Palm Springs.       
I really need to get back into the Always Quilting studio to rent a long arm and get all my finished tops quilted if I don't hand quilt this winter. There is never enough time for making.

No comments:

Post a Comment