Thursday, July 14, 2022

clay: plates and plaster molds

Whenever I try to do too many things at once, I end up doing each thing half-assed. But let's hope that the stuff I made today won't crack. Today I made 3 plates and "babysat" 3 plates from yesterday.  

This plate to the right was made over a hump mold. Golly I need to make another hump mold or two. It’s so much faster than using these tins as slump molds.
And I glazed the 4 plates below and 2 bowls after under glazing my maker's mark and waxing the bottoms
.
I also poured another cast of a soap dish as well as applied rice decals and underglaze to the one I cast yesterday. And also did a slip cast of a bud vase and another tea bowl.
I took up a lot space today in the studio. I occupied 4 tables!
And this morning, I admired again the cup I bought from Don Jower in the sunshine.
 
The beauty of a wood firing is the unpredictable but gorgeous results never to be repeated exactly the same way again.
Don told me he threw this cup very thick and then carved it. I'm guessing he used a hardware tool like a big putty knife. So cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment