Sunday, February 12, 2023

celebrate: galentine's day

It's been a good week. I made it to the swimming pool on Sunday, Wednesday and Friday last week though I cancelled the gym Saturday morning because of a Valentine brunch with all the neighborhood women. Yesterday at work, I made a couple posters and cut out a bunch of hearts with handwritten compliments to decorate the club house.   

I put butcher paper on all the tables and then let Jo go to town decorating with more ribbon, doilies, and candles. I wish she was into fresh flowers and not so much into dollar store décor, but whatever. I'm trying not to be bossy and less of a micromanager.
And after swimming, I cooked TWO breakfast casseroles: kale, bacon, egg and cheddar for Helen to bring and chorizo, pinto, egg and jack enchiladas for my contribution. I didn't eat my dinner--an avocado and sprouts sandwich--until 8:30. And yesterday morning, I brought an extension cord to turn on the twinkling lights and to pop the casserole in the oven in the kitchen and crank the heater and the fireplace to warm the club house. Tables were all decorated, but table placement made no sense to me. Nancy wanted folding tables brought which would have made sense if she hadn't used the regular tables to hold more potluck dishes and desserts that she placed at the end of the long tables like below.            
Next year, I'm arranging tables like I did at Thanksgiving...lined up for people to gather and eat family style. I moved one table down from the carpeted area next to the bench seating and could see the annoyance on Nancy's face. And yeah she should have brought the folding camp tables a day beforehand to set up for plates, cups, utensils, napkins, and desserts. 
 
But Galentine's Day is no longer my event to host, and Cecilia did awesome in inviting the community and at telling guests, anything and everything when bringing a dish to the potluck.
 
I just wanted to eat this bread pudding aka French toast casserole and baby potatoes and the bacon that Katie brought all morning.
 
And I loved that the British neighbors brought the meat rolls and the heart-shaped scones with clotted cream and jam.
 
And I did get a little bit of everything, including what I cooked like the strata and enchiladas.
 
The courtroom judge in the group asked me what chili peppers I used, and I replied none, just the enchilada sauce but perhaps the seasoning in the chorizo provided the flavor. Phyllis the gluten free neighbor appreciated the corn tortillas I used instead of flour.
I didn't partake of too many desserts.
  
The watermelon bowl was giving me ideas for the ceramics studio later.
 
I like that Cafe Olivia became an additional gathering spot and from where Cecilia could greet incoming guests. 
All in all, a successful "meeting" as deemed by Cecilia, who liked that I made Olivia the hostess on paper, literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment