Saturday, February 4, 2023

cook: easier sichuan noodle bowl

I semi-cleaned my fridge and was heartsick at having to toss most of the remains of clover and alfalfa sprouts and three small Persian cucumbers. And so I’m resolving again not to overbuy produce, especially given how much more groceries cost these days. Earlier this week I cooked a faster version of Dan Dan Mian. It started with this package of dried Chinese noodles.                        

I think A-sha is the same company that makes Momofuku's dried noodle packets. I had defrosted some ground pork and mixed a single portion of the meat with grated garlic and teaspoons of fish sauce, soy sauce, Maggi, my home ground Chinese 5 spice and wished I had remembered to sprinkle a bit of curry powder and Sichuan salt instead of soy and Maggi. I browned the meat with a tablespoon of chopped jalapenos until there were crispy bits. I also blanched the bag of baby bok choy I had bought at the Asian market.
I didn't dump the hot water from blanching the bok choy--I love the spider strainer for that reason--and boiled the Chinese noodles and readied my noodle bowl with all the other ingredients.
I had hard boiled eggs in the fridge too and plunged them in the boiling noodles to reheat.
Omigosh delish though a bit salty with the addition of the seasoning packet from the noodles, and so next time, I need to use a lot less fish sauce, soy sauce, Maggi. Thankfully the mountain of bok choy I kept piling into my bowl made my meal taste less salty.

No comments:

Post a Comment