Wednesday, February 22, 2023

cook: lentil soup

I had originally planned to just buy a Stouffer's lasagna for slow sewing night, but it's Ash Wednesday. Quite a few of the women are Catholic, and I know that one quilter is vegetarian. And so I thought, vegan lentil soup! I looked at one recipe, and then the New York Times had in its food newsletter a lentil soup that included sweet potato and citrus. Alas that recipe was behind a pay wall, and so I found this one with sweet potato though it includes fresh rosemary and thyme and no citrus, nor interesting spices like curry powder, turmeric, cumin, and cayenne. And so I devised my own concoction with aforementioned spices and sweet potato and coconut milk and orange citrus and kale from the garden and then will garnish with fresh cilantro and lime wedges. Last night I chopped a small yellow onion and grated ginger and threw in spices to sauté later with garlic. Luckily I shopped over the weekend and bought vegetable stock.

And I had a tangelo and tangerine still in the fruit bowl.
 
I rushed home after school to sauté and simmer. I needed to leave for the gym...
 
...and resumed cooking soup after my swim. And finally my soup looked ready to puree half in the blender.
And dinner was leftover crispy chicken wings and broccoli and celery with bleu cheese dressing.

Ugh, I am not feeling well and a little nauseous probably because of the glass of Cabernet Sauvignon, which is too bad, because I was feeling high from endorphins and really powerful after my pool workout. 

No comments:

Post a Comment