Tuesday, January 31, 2023

clay: brown dinnerware

Yesterday after my professional development, I went straight to the ceramics classroom. Since it was 3 o'clock when I got there, I built for 3 hours, which is double the amount of time I usually get after school. Zan's texture example was on one of the tables. So cool. I once created a texture tile with dried pasta in her classroom and even went so far as to underglaze and overglaze it. It got stolen. That's how cool the design was. Oh well. I'd like to make a pot with texture from dried pasta again, but using popsicle sticks to texturize is neat also.     

And I saw cleaning tools on Zan's whiteboard list, and so I had to relocate these clay tools to their respective homes before using the slab roller.
While I worked on making 4 of these slab plates, Kacie threw a pitcher, 2 mugs and a pot. I love the shapes of her pots, and yes someday I will learn to throw on the wheel.
 
But yay! I got 3 times more plates than I usually make in the ceramics classroom. I'm going to ponder what glaze to use on these Electric Brown clay bodies. Maybe I don't want to dip them in Colonial White. I really need to make some test pots today after work.
I was noticing a lot of dirty clay tools, and so gave them all a good dunk in a bucket of water and additional rinsing.
I figure it's the least I can do in appreciation of having this beautiful space to handbuild.

No comments:

Post a Comment